Saturday 26 January 2013

MUSIC: Mykki Blanco






Ms Blanco is coming for 2013. Transcending the 'queer-rap' genre, Mykki is a rapper, poet, artist, author and actor. It feels as though he's come from the same gang as Zebra Katz and LE1F, but his sound is totally it's own. With a debut EP due out this year and a free mixtape (Cosmic Angel: The Illuminati Prince/ss) already getting people talking, those other bitches need to watch their wigs, because Mykki's gonna take them.

Taken from Interview magazine [x]:
CHAPMAN: Was that life something you discovered when you came to New York, or something you just could never be anywhere else? 
BLANCO: Well, I considered myself gay for so long, and it really wasn't until I started dressing as the opposite sex pretty regularly that I began to see my gender identity shift. To be flat-out honest, it wasn't until I started sleeping with men as the opposite sex that things started to really change—when I found out men that I found attractive found me attractive as a woman! It literally is a mindfuck to go through life as a guy, and then to dress as a woman and get cat-called on the street, get men running up to you, asking for your phone number, your e-mail address; to meet men online and have them be smokin' hot. It's like a whole entire road opened up and in a lot of ways, it made my life so much better. 
I'm so excited to see her this Tuesday. BIRTHDAYS in Dalston, London.

No comments:

Post a Comment